About Me

My photo
N Las Vegas, NV, United States
I have been working on homes and the sort almost my whole life, I'm no expert, who is? I can walk you through that tile repair, garbage disposal and painting. The list is long, but not impossible! Lets get to it. Email Questions or Ideas to me at lvrepairguy@gmail.com

SEABEES:

"If it can't be done, We can do it".
"If it's Impossible, it'll just take us a little longer"!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Basic Painting Enamel Pt. 1

So, you got the walls done. Now it's time to finish up by doing the doors and casings.
These are a little trickier than slobbering paint on the walls.

1st More prep, More masking, start by taping off the knobs and door catches. Now do the hinges, I find it easier to determine if the hinges are already painted. If so, why bother, paint 'em. Wrap some tape around the knob part closet to the door. If you want to take them off, fine more work now easier painting. I just leave them on. After you taped them grab the masker and wrap a little around the tape, good enough to not see any knob. Roll the paper into itself to get the excess out of the way, then add a piece of tape to the paper to close it. The door latches can be masked using a putty knife, take a piece of 1 1/2" and cover the part on the wall, using the putty knife to act as a kinda of knife, or you can just cut it with a dry wall knife to get a cleaner edge, leaving only the metal covered. Next is the part on the door, I usually just slap a piece of tape over it and cut it in later, less trim work. If you are painting both sides do both sides. If not close the door for now (check other side for kids 1st). Put some masking paper on the floor under the door to catch that nasty spillage. Okay, we're almost ready. Get some 220 sandpaper and light sand the door and edges to "scuff them up" a little. If you have damage to the door now is the time to do the repair. Get the Spackle and put a light coat over the hole or whatever the problem may be. After drying and sanding, repeat to get a smooth surface. If it's a major problem you might want to replace it. Don't worry about the top of the door, (whose gonna see it)? Sand the casings the same way, "scuffing". Repeat process of Spackle if needed. I think that's enough for now, MY wife the " wise one " of blogs told me my 1st posting was to long. So we'll just come back and finish. Anyway we have to wait for dry time on any spackling. The door is still dry I hope. See ya'

No comments:

Post a Comment